Stocks has been an integral part of Sark history for centuries. There is evidence of old monastic buildings on the site dating from medieval times. The oldest of the current buildings date from circa 1741. The original farmhouse was built in a central, sheltered position, close to fertile land and one of the most reliable wells on Sark.
The hotel takes its name from Mr & Mrs Harry Stock who owned the property in the early 1900′s. For many years Stocks remained a successful farm and evolved to become Sark’s leading hotel under the ownership of the Falle family.
During the Second World War Sark and Stocks were occupied by the German army. Officers, including the Commandant, were billeted at Stocks between 1940 and 1945. Allied commando raids were frequently made via Dixcart Bay and along the valley below Stocks.
A German underground escape tunnel can still to be found behind Stocks. Sark was liberated by the allied forces on 10th May 1945, (one day later than Guernsey and Jersey).
The Dame of Sark would frequently entertain Kings and Queens and Heads of State in the dining room at Stocks.